Saturday, February 6, 2010

Changing My Situation

I've fought with myself over the past month or three about whether or not to do something about this whole lack of "kitchen" situation. For those who don't know, my "kitchen" is nothing but a mini-fridge, crock pot and hotplate in an empty room with pipes protruding from the walls. I've been rather lackadaisical about the whole situation being that it didn't affect my life in any serious way.

That is, until I looked at last week's bank statement.

I spent almost $200 on takeout. Yep. $200. A week. When I figured out I was responsible for keeping Satish Palace, Ruthie's, Enzo's and other restaurants open, I began to put more thought into my spending situation. At first I freaked out and decided to move. Then it hit me how much money it would cost to move and how much more money I would be paying a month. I went back and forth about it for a little while. Provided you were desperate enough to move into a place with no kitchen, what would you do?

Here's the breakdown (my thought process):

A new place would have everything I needed (fridge, oven, etc.) but it would cost anywhere from $300 - $600 extra a month. This would be an issue if my, somewhat unstable, job fell through.

It would be cheaper to change up my kitchen but I would be spending money on things that I would not be taking to a new place when I move (ideally after Dec.). Being that I want to move to another state, I planned on packing light until I had my desired place.

I don't know when I will find a place or if it's a great idea but I need to do something about the food/ health/ money situation before then.

So that's where I'm at. Someone has awesomely offered me the use of her kitchen but I prefer not to be a bother to someone's bills. Not to mention I have relied on people way too much these past few years. I'm 23 and I would like to establish some type of independence. Not to mention, I would like to not be embarrassed to have people over.

This decision is very make or brake for me but I have come to the conclusion that I might be better off turning my "kitchen" into a common room/ kitchen. The great news is that I'll be taking you along for the ride. So without further adieu, here is my kitchen. I'll update you guys on with some pics on how it's going. As you know, I don't have much money. Perhaps, this will become a lesson on how to redecorate when you are completely broke.


-O.T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share your opinion or travel advice? Go ahead!