Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Job Motivation

I don't know if I've mentioned that I no longer work at my restaurant. My hours became less and less. Essentially, I made about $5...a day. I found a job as a copywriter at an upstart public relations/ marketing out of a man's home office in Newark. It's the strangest place I've ever worked and yet the best place. I write a lot. Though, I fear that I've been paraphrasing so much, I'll forget how to be creative.

Anyway, there is a girl there who just kind of slacks off. It's interesting watching people who lack motivation. Maybe her specific job isn't what she wants to do. I don't know the reason for it but I wonder if she knows how hard it is for people to get a job. Why do people spiral into self destruction when they don't want to do anything anymore? Is bailing when you are unhappy really a good thing? Despite hating it, is sticking with something for the money a good thing?

When I was a teen I had a theory:

You are at job about two-thirds of your day. That is most of your day. If you are unhappy at your job, you are unhappy with most of your life. That is why you're better off finding a job that pays very little that makes you happy. What's the point of having all of that money if you are unhappy?

I told a bus driver that once. "You're young," he said arrogantly. I told myself I would remember that moment so that I would never become bitter like that bus driver. Now that I am 23, I look back at that and I'm torn. I've had a myriad of crappy jobs. I was most depressed during those times but sometimes you have to pay the bills and stick with something you don't want to do. I wonder where my coworker is in her life? Was that me a few years ago...or even last February when I hated my job at Zara and couldn't find the passion to care about clothes? Sometimes envy those whose ideal career choice also makes them a good deal of money.

-O.T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share your opinion or travel advice? Go ahead!