Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Piece of Our Lives

About a week ago:

I walked along, lugging my cart o' laundry through the piles of snow on a sunny weekend afternoon. I love the strange looks I tend to acquire from fellow Montclairians as people try to decipher if I am homeless or not. As I walked down a certain street, I heard a voice call "how are you?" I turned around and met eyes with Ms. T. (see "Ms. T." blog) as she stuck her head out of a cab window. It had been a long time since our last conversation. I hadn't seen her since November but I figured if she were anything like me, in the winter she would try to leave the house as little as possible. "So how are you?" I asked. "I haven't seen you in forever."

"I moved" she said, leaving me in shock. We continued on with our niceties and went our separate ways. I trekked on as her cab sped pass me and faded into the horizon. As I waved a final goodbye to the shrinking figure I couldn't help but feel a tad bit sad. We've only known each other for about four months. We've spoken probably no more than ten times. Our meeting was a very small blip in the history of meetings. Despite that, I can't help but feel the impact our meeting has had on each other. I can't help but think we all affect each other in some strange cosmic way. From a casual glance or admiring of clothing to lasting friendships and relationships, we all leave a piece of ourselves with that person. The longer the interaction, the more affected we are when they leave. It's as if watching a piece of ourselves leave or die. Though they have taken a piece of your puzzle, you are left with their piece. All that is left is to figure out where it belongs. With all of our interactions, we are left with millions of pieces to complete a picture of experience and memories. How will you use this piece in your life?

A few days later:

A new girl has taken the room next to mine. We will call her CeCe. She is a very social creature with an open door policy...quite literally. It is interesting how someone's attitude completely changes an atmosphere. In this case, for the better. For the past few months, I could feel the walls closing in. The stifling silence was slowly maddening. I somehow take her moving in as a sign to stick around for a little while. With one door closed, another opens.

-O.T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share your opinion or travel advice? Go ahead!